Black Beauty® Dense Shade Grass Seed
- Germinates and establishes quickly
- Has been proven to grow where other shady lawn seed mixtures have failed
- Perfect for use around mature trees and shrubs where the penetration of sunlight is limited
- Improved turfgrass varieties possessing beneficial endophytes for natural insect and disease resistance
- Jonathan Green’s Black Beauty® Dense Shade Grass Seed contains shade tolerant Black Beauty® varieties for lawns with big shady trees, large shrubs or areas shaded by houses or other permanent structures. Black Beauty® Dense Shade contains the four families of cool-season turfgrasses: turf-type tall fescue, Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass and fine fescues, which creates great versatility in shady to partial sun lawns. This seed germinates in 7 to 14 days.
- When to apply – The best time to apply seed is mid-August to mid-October while the ground is still warm and the nights are cooler. Mid-March through mid-May is the next best time to plant, when the soil temperature reaches 55º+ Fahrenheit and the temperature of the air stays consistently warm.
- Spread seed – Apply half of the seed with a rotary spreader in one direction (north to south) and the remainder in the opposite direction (east to west). It is beneficial to spread a new seeding fertilizer that is high in phosphorus at this time as well.
- Rake seed – Rake lightly into the ground with a metal rake. Walk with light, even footsteps on the seedbed to firm the soil around the seed. Do not bury the seed more than one fourth of an inch deep.
- Water – For best germination, water daily to keep the seedbed moist. Continue watering regularly for a few weeks until the grass plants reach a height of 2 – 2.5 inches.
- Mow – Begin mowing when the new grass has reached a height of 3 – 4 inches. Make sure the mower has sharp blades. Be careful not to scalp the lawn, low mowing will stress the root system and encourage the growth of weeds.
- 3 lb Bag
- Overseeding – Seeds up to 1,800 sq. ft.
- New Lawns – Seeds up to 900 sq. ft.
Grass Type: Tall and Fine Fescues, Perennial Rye, & Kentucky Bluegrass
Grass Color: Dark green
Recommended Planting Months: For cool season grasses
- Mid-August through mid-October
- Mid-March through mid-May
Sun Tolerance: Good
Shade Tolerance: Excellent
Light Requirements: Partial sun to shade (4 – 5 hours of sun)
We Also Recommend
Lebanon Pro 18-0-4 25% PCU .38 Prodiamine Crabgrass Pre-Emergent Control
Lebanon Pro 25-0-8 40% SCU Trimec for Broadleaf Weed Control